You’ll find our blog to be a wealth of information, covering everything from local market statistics and home values to community happenings. That’s because we care about the community and want to help you find your place in it. Please reach out if you have any questions at all. We’d love to talk with you!
10 Home Inspection Red Flags
Most homebuyers realize that they can’t expect a perfect home inspection report when buying a resale home. Cosmetic flaws and minor repairs are easily managed and shouldn’t be deal breakers. That said, there are some issues that are more serious and should give the buyer pause if not addressed adequately.
1. Leaky and Rundown Roofing – watch for signs of current or past water damage.
2. Poor Drainage – drainage issues can cause serious damage to the home foundation, siding, and basements.
3. Foundation Issues – signs of foundation problems can include cracks around doors and windows or uneven floors. Foundation problems can cost thousands of dollars to correct.
4. Plumbing Problems – major plumbing issues should be considered carefully and further explored.
5. Pest Infestations – termites and other wood-eating pests can cause extensive damage that can be hard to find and costly to repair.
6. Mold – that “musty” smell could be due to hidden mold and further investigation should be taken as mold can be dangerous to the health of the family. Depending on the type of mold, it can be very difficult to remove entirely.
7. Faulty Heating System – a malfunctioning furnace can be a fire hazard.
8. Electrical Wiring – faulty wiring can cost thousands of dollars to repair.
9. Structural Damage – sagging joists, rafters, and door jambs can be evidence of larger issues.
10.Deferred Maintenance – a home in poor condition could be hiding more serious issues due to chronic neglect.
Homebuyers should be alert to these issues and know the costs to repair before concluding the sale. Home sellers should address these issues before putting the home up for sale to ensure they get the best possible sales price.
Curious about local real estate? So are we! Every month we review trends in our real estate market and consider the number of homes on the market in each price tier, the amount of time particular homes have been listed for sale, specific neighborhood trends, the median price and square footage of each home sold and so much more. We’d love to invite you to do the same!
You can sign up here to receive your own market report, delivered as often as you like! It contains current information on pending, active and just sold properties so you can see actual homes in your neighborhood. You can review your area on a larger scale, as well, by refining your search to include properties across the city or county. As you notice price and size trends, please contact us for clarification or to have any questions answered.
We can definitely fill you in on details that are not listed on the report and help you determine the best home for you. If you are wondering if now is the time to sell, please try out our INSTANT home value tool. You’ll get an estimate on the value of your property in today’s market. Either way, we hope to hear from you soon as you get to know our neighborhoods and local real estate market better.